Gabe Newell's Valve "gets" gaming like very few others. Here are but a few examples:
- They made Half-Life (enough said)
- They made Half-Life 2, and they gave us the gravity gun at the start of the game, rather than holding out on it till the end as some kind of nonsense reward for playing through their game.
- They released Portal, after buying the developers who made the original Narbacular Drop
- They only release games when they're ready. Sometimes that takes a looong time, and sometimes, not so much.
- They developed Steam, which has changed gaming forever.
"Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customer's use or by creating uncertainty."